What is Eco-Design/Sustainable Design?
Eco-Design, or sustainable design, looks to reduce consumption of non-renewable resources, minimize waste and create healthy, productive environments.
Sustainable design is about taking the high road, doing what is right for the community and the natural environment. It is about educating clients to alternative strategies that provide return on investment.
It involves reducing energy and water use, reducing waste, reduce-reuse-recycle, improving indoor air quality and reducing carbon footprint.
Why would you want a green home? Is it
- Energy cost savings save money energy and resources
- Healthier environment better quality of light, improved ventilation, healthier indoor air quality that address health issues or chemical sensitivities
- Increased property values
- Health of the planet help restore health while protecting natural resources
- Desire for Green Certification
Who doesnt want a healthy environment in which to live and work while contributing to the well being of the planet and its future generations?
Being green is about the health impact of what we do and the products we use and the interaction with our surrounding environment.
Easily Create an Eco-Friendly Home
More and more people around the globe are finally realizing the importance of conserving our natural resources and protecting Mother Earth. We know we can do our part by following the three Rs Reduce, Reuse and Recycle but not a lot of people know that you can start right in your own home! And, Im not talking about your blue bins!
- When picking out furniture to use for your interior space, make sure that they are constructed from non-toxic materials, all-natural latex foam or renewable woods.
- Also, higher quality furniture will stand the test of time, reducing the need to cut down more trees. When accessorizing your room, choose the ones that will last a long time, such as recycled products, reclaimed art or antiques.
- Lastly, use energy efficient compact fluorescents and LEDs for your lighting fixtures. Not only will you be saving money with a smaller energy bill, but you’ll be saving the planet as well!
Top 10 Ways to Boost House Value:
Whether your selling your home or not, here are top 10 things you can do to increase value.
- Curb appeal. Buyers can decide to not even look inside your home if there is no curb appeal or if you have unkempt bushes, trees and weeds. Clear debris, place new mulch down, etc. These add visual impact. Keep everything fresh and clean.
- Front Door. Dont underestimate the power of the front door. People make up their minds in the first 15 seconds of entering a house. Create a beautiful entryway. Have a freshly painted front door, working doorbell and new welcome mat. Updated light fixtures help too.
- Create space. Homebuyers want a wide open floor plan. Consider opening up a space by taking out walls or taking out extra furniture that is crowding a space.
- Lighting. Let it in! Everything from skylights to installing dimmer switches enhances your homes appeal.
- Go green. Update water heaters and heating or air conditioning with energy efficient ones.
- Flooring. Dont undervalue the material you are standing on. 95% of real estate pros recommend spending some money on floors. An average $700 investment return in value comes in at up to $2,000.
- Kitchen and Bathroom Upgrades. Updating kitchens and baths are a sure bet to adding value to your home.
- Neutralizing. From painting your walls to removing family photographs, neutralizing is imperative for allowing buyers to see themselves in your home.
- Decks. Adding entertaining space definitely increases value. You can get 80% of your value to the dollar. Also, choose maintenance free materials.
- Maintenance. Dont put off maintenance on your home. Fix leaky faucets, weed the flowerbed, replace out burnt light bulbs. These fixes go a long way to increase the value of your house.